Thursday, August 26, 2010

English in Asia

I (Kalan) haven’t posted anything in quite some time in spite of the fact that a lot has happened. Although business may have overwhelmed my creative impulses, I suspect I have actually had a case of “Idontwanttoblogocitice”. Thankfully my symptoms have almost entirely disappeared.
Returning to school marks the biggest event of my week. For the first time in my life I stepped into the classroom as a teacher instead of a student. I teach kindergarten every morning from 9-12. Each class includes the young-learner requirements of naptime, snack, ten minutes of exercise (a.k.a. running around the room in a single file line), ball tossing, play break and lunch. Unfortunately I also have to squeeze in reading, grammar, phonics and English. Each subject lasts for 45 minutes and teach three subjects a day.
At 12 O’clock I step out of the classroom for my break before returning to teach older children in the afternoon. Like the morning classes, I teach English, Grammar, Phonics and Reading but each subject corresponds to a different group of students and the students vary in ages and ability. The new semester begins on Monday and will bring a set schedule through the end of January. More to come on work as it develops…

No comments:

Post a Comment