Friday, August 6, 2010

Snack or Sacrifice?

The other day, as I plodded down the street under the hazy sun with streams of sweat trickling down my legs, I noticed that many of the market vendors had placed enticing bowls of fresh tropical fruits near their store entrances. Cool and refreshing, this fruit is the perfect pick-me-up for a hot and hungry shopper. How thoughtful of the Taiwanese to put out snacks for their customers, I thought subconsciously. It must be like when we go to Sam’s Club and get free samples. However, because I was in a rush, I decided to pass up the fruit this time.



Several hours later, as I walked back home, I noticed swirls of incense smoke on either side of the fruit bowls. Immediately to the left I also saw a storeowner throwing fake paper money into a pot of fire. That’s when it clicked: those pieces of fruit were not hors d’ouevres, but sacred sacrifices to the gods, ancestors, and good spirits. Faintly I remembered that several times a month, according the lunar calendar and the gods’ birthdays, many Taiwanese make public offerings such as these.

I have so much to learn about Taiwan! One notable difference here is the lack of distinction between the physical and spiritual worlds. I will write more about this soon. In the meantime, I will always think twice before picking up a free snack!

-Kayt

No comments:

Post a Comment