Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cultural Roller-coaster

Life still swirls around us like hurricane. It shouldn’t surprise me, but I failed to prepare myself for the magnitude of adjustment required to thrive in our new home. In some ways, for me in particular, Taipei seems to welcome me with open arms. Its skyscrapers, fast-paced living, and droves of people comprise the environment I never knew I always loved. Somehow, it feels like Denver; big city living; the life in which I feel most at home. On the other hand, acute awareness persists that this is not yet my home. I cannot communicate with anyone outside my isolated community. Substitute teaching for the remainder of August in abnormal schedules inhibit building routine. Living in tandem with another person presents continuing learning opportunities. Ha.

Kaytlin secured a job today and she will continue substitute teaching until September 1. I hope to pick up some subbing hours beginning next week, but don’t have anything guaranteed except my full-time job starting August 23. Building a budget from scratch feels like trying to dig for buried treasure in a pit of quicksand. Only time will give us solid ground. Culture shock, especially for Kaytlin, continually knocks at our door.

In spite of our struggles, I stand in amazement at how much we love our new lives. Our decision to follow this path shows clear marks of Providential leading.



Kayt at the Taipei Botanical Garden




Kalan, TJ, Kelley and Eric enjoying sweet tofu soup for dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment