Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Night Market, a Taiwanese Church, and an Earthquake

Last night, we went to the Shilin Night Market with some friends.



Nearby, we sampled some of the local cuisine: oyster and shrimp pancakes, quail eggs on a stick, fermented "stinky" tofu, squid and bamboo soup. Congealed pig's blood on a stick was another option, but I decided I need to give my stomach some time to adjust before sampling that one!



This morning, we attended our first service at a local Taiwanese church. Two things stood out to me. The first is the strong sense of community. After one girl introduced me to her sister, I asked how many other siblings she had. She just laughed and said, "No, Kaytlin--you are my sister too! We are all brothers and sisters!"

The second thing I noticed right away is the way these people prayed. They pray a LOT, and with great sincerity. After the church service, the members split up into smaller groups which meet for a couple more hours of prayer around the church building. After removing our shoes, we entered a small room and sat on cushions in a circle on the floor.

At one point as I was praying with my eyes closed, I began to feel like I was moving and getting dizzy. "Wow," I thought, "maybe those quail eggs last night weren't such a good idea." But when I opened my eyes, I was still swaying back and forth as I sat on the ground. "It's an earthquake!" someone whispered next to me. Wow! My first earthquake! Later I found out that earthquakes are a daily occurence here; we just don't feel most of them because they are so small.

In other news...we are still looking for an apartment, and we both have more job interviews tomorrow. Erich and Kelley and several Taiwanese friends from church have been extremely helpful, going with us to translate with the landlords. We are so thankful for their hospitality.

1 comment:

  1. Such a blessing to read all these updates!
    So happy for your adventures, adjustments, and blessings.

    ReplyDelete