Friday, July 16, 2010

Kalan Bears All

I can confirm the Facebook rumors. I shot a bear.


My parents have wildlife meander through their yard on a regular basis. Bears included. Recently, however, a rogue bear hoped for a sample of my mother’s cooking. He left claw marks on the window screens and paw prints on the back door.

The Department of Wildlife forbids the killing of wild animals without a permit and wounding a bear would endanger the people around us. Such circumstances lead to the stockpiling of M-80’s and rubber-pellet shot gun shells. My dad gave me a tutorial for the ammunition when I got home last week and left the keys to the gun case easily accessible.


Kaytlin and my dad have ridden the horses almost nightly this week and during one evening ride, the bear paid my mother and I a visit. He spent his time in the apple tree, but I thought the horses would hold it against me if I let the bear loiter until they returned. One shot took him out of the tree and another sent him into the forest. Bear-horse rendezvous averted and epic tale acquired.

No comments:

Post a Comment