Friday, October 15, 2010

Pay Day

A day never passes without an adventure in Taiwan.

For almost all teachers in Taiwan, payday comes the 5th of every month. For me however, the day came without any pay. Well…only 50% of it.

Over the recent months I have become increasingly aware that the Kindergarten portion of my school is failing. Not in a “the school system is letting our children down” type of failing, but a “we don’t have enough students to pay rent” failing.

To make a long (although rather entertaining) story short, today was the climax of my ultimatum: pay the rest of my salary, or continue offering classes without a teacher. I wouldn’t be quitting, just removing the English portion of their “all-English” immersion classes until I got my money.

Although my stand frustrated the school-owner, I received my money today. I think he tried to communicate something like “I don’t know why all the teachers are so upset, I am going to pay them sooner or later” to my boss, but its all Chinese to me. Ha.

“What now?” you ask. Kaytlin splurged and bought plastic cups for our apartment since we broke all 3 of our glasses.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got paid. You two will have to stop being such extravagant spenders -- 3 plastic cups :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if two of the plastic cups are dirty and both of you want something to drink......do you play rock/scissors/paper to see who gets the last cup?

    ReplyDelete