Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fireworks and New Foods



Sunday we celebrated Taiwan's National Celebration Day or "Double Ten Day" (雙十節). (It's kind of like the 4th of July in America). That evening I went with some Taiwanese friends to the best fireworks show I've ever seen. After that, we went to a local restaurant famous for its "ginger duck hot pot." (Hot pot is the Taiwanese version of fondue). We all sat on low stools around a table with a hole in the middle. In the hole was a fire and a boiling pot of broth. Nearby men cut up ducks and placed the various organs and pieces of meat on serving platters. Along with raw cabbage, we used our chopsticks to cook the meat in the pot.



Now here comes the exciting part. During the meal, one of my friends placed a reddish blob of gelatin in my bowl and said, "Here, Kayt. You should try this."

"Okay. What is it?"

"It's duck blood."

Coagulated duck blood?! Really?! But since I have a personal rule to "always try everything at least once," I took a bite with a little smile. "Delicious," I managed to say in Chinese. Everyone got a big kick out of that. Next, they offered me the pig blood cake (pig's blood mixed with sticky rice). Again, I sampled a bite. Really, it didn't taste bad at all...I just tried not to think about what I was eating.



The whole night was really fun. I made some new friends and had lots of opportunities to practice Chinese. And while I don't think I'll be making pig blood cake anytime soon, at least I can say I tried it.

Happy double ten day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you are a brave woman trying that. Oh, and are you saying the fireworks were better than your Grandpa's fireworks in his backyard that we watch every fourth of July? lol

    ReplyDelete