Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eco Art for Rainy Days

Day 13 of rain.

I like to think of myself as a rather cheerful person, but after a while--I have to admit--the rain gets me feeling a little down.

My feelings of gloom culminated rather humorously when I attempted to go shopping for rain boots, only to find that Taiwan stores do not carry footwear large enough for my size-9 feet.

It helps that I'm not alone. This past week I was especially thankful for Beth, my half-marathon training partner who motivated me to go running decked out in rain gear.

I was also thankful for my mom, who can relate to my weather-related blues, and sent me a list of inspiring rainy-day ideas.

And of course, I'm thankful for Kalan, who is always patient, understanding, and gently points me to Jesus.

We've bee reading 2 Corinthians this week, and at one point Paul talks about the troubles he experienced in Asia. He says "...But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead" (2 Cor. 1:9).

Now, I feel a little silly comparing mild feelings of sadness to Paul's intense despair, but the main idea is the same: Tough times remind me to rely on God's grace and strength alone.

For that, I am ever thankful.

So, on a lighter note...for all my Wisconsin friends who might be feeling the same way I am this time of year, here's an easy art project I completed this week: Eco Art Vases!


Start with some old wine bottles. Soak them overnight to easily remove the labels. Then, use masking tape to create designs.



Next, paint the bottles with white or cream-colored acrylic or interior latex paint. Using plastic gloves, remove the tape before the paint dries.



Finally, insert cheerful flowers and enjoy. :-)


(This project was inspired by Eco Craft by Susan Wasinger.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this art project - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi kayt, i have enjoyed spending the last hour getting to know your taiwan life through your blog. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete