Monday, November 8, 2010

Finishing Strong (?)

In America, I struggled with the dilemma of hating running, but needing to exercise. Taiwan has provided the answer: a ‘race’ where you don’t actually run.

I awoke dark and early a few Sundays ago to attend the Samsung Race at the Taipei City Hall. I joined 25,000 people for a 3k (1.86 miles) race. People made running motions such as slightly bouncing while they stepped and swinging their arms fluidly, but after about 3 minutes I realized that I kept pace with the crowd using a brisk walk.

The mass of people hedged us in on all sides, preventing anyone from accelerating into an actual run.

Within 15 minutes, my compatriots and I had completed the race--up the street on one side and down the street on the other side. On our return we greeted about 5,000 who had not yet left the starting line because of the crowds.

For our participation we received a Samsung sport T-shirt and a bar of organic soap shaped like a leaf…Ah, the spoils of athleticism.

Getting ready for the race

...with 25,000 of our closest friends

A race like no other:


Greeted at the finish line by a special friend


No comments:

Post a Comment