Friday, November 5, 2010

Family

Lately, I have been feeling a bit homesick.

As the cooler weather approaches along with the winter holiday season, I often think about my family and friends back in the U.S. I miss you all very much.

However, this past Sunday night, I was very encouraged.

We hosted a baby shower for a British friend, Hannah, who is expecting her first baby next month. The women who gathered were so diverse-- American, British, Taiwanese, young, old--yet we all came together to celebrate and support Hannah and her baby.

The next morning I read what Jesus said when he was with his followers: "Here are my mother and brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother" (Matt. 12:48-50).

I was reminded that when we become part of the Church, we become part of a huge, worldwide, spiritual family. As Christians we are called to love, serve, and take care of each other, just like our biological families. At the baby shower, I experienced this "family" as women from all over the world who love Jesus came together to help Hannah.



I will always miss my American family. But through our separation God is teaching me about His bigger family, the Church. And for that I am thankful.

-Kayt

1 comment:

  1. Amen!! We miss you too and are praying for you. Enjoy your Taiwanese family. You will be back in the States before you know it!

    ReplyDelete