Thursday, December 6, 2012

Adventures in Cloth Diapering

Our adventures in cloth diapering have begun.  So many people kindly gave us disposables as gifts that we didn't switch to cloth until Keira was seven weeks old.

We decided to go old-school with flat diapers.  Flats are super easy to wash, even in our cold-water-only washer, and they dry quickly, even in Taiwan's humid climate.  They do require a bit more folding, which was intimidating at first.  But now I can fold a day's worth of diapers in less than five minutes. 

This was my first attempt at putting on a cloth diaper.  As you can see, it was too loose on the sides.  You can imagine what happened later.  Oops!  Since then my method has greatly improved.
These are the waterproof covers that go over the cloth part.  I love them...very light and easy to clean.
This is how we dry our diapers in our studio apartment when it's raining outside, with the dehumidifier on full blast.  On sunny days we hang them on the rooftop.
So...what do I think so far about cloth diapering?  Here are a few initial thoughts.

--Folding and washing diapers has been much easier than I anticipated.  Once I got into a routine, it just wasn't a big deal.  (And I will confess that I actually enjoy folding them.  It's one of those repetitive chores that gives me time to reflect).

--That being said, I can't deny that cloth diapers are more inconvenient than disposables.  They definitely take more work, and it takes time to adjust.

--I don't regret our decision to use cloth diapers...the extra work is worth it.   We want to be good stewards of God's world and resources, and cloth diapers are better for the environment and way cheaper than disposables.  Like any good thing, cloth diapers require a sacrifice of time and energy that is well-spent.






No comments:

Post a Comment