Saturday, September 3, 2011

Getting Off the Gold Standard

In Consolations of Philosophy, the protagonist (talking about wealth )says, "such things do in the end take on them more beauty from their Maker's care...still they in no wise merit your admiration since their excellence is set at a lower grade than your own soul."

Boethius was on the gold standard, so his money was actually beautiful to look at. But he is saying that no matter how much work a craftsman puts into gold it is always infinitely less valuable than a human soul. Something with a soul doesn't even deserved to be compared with an inanimate object.

I haven't spent too much time in my life admiring good-old George W's. I do think the time I spend thinking about, planning with and considering money is too similar to the amount I spend thinking about and considering people. Maybe I value money too much; I know I value people too little. I hope to feel the weight of each person's immortal soul when I encounter them. I am interacting the most beautiful and amazing thing on this side of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment