Monday, September 14, 2015

Autumn Sunshine, A Hundred Eggs, and Phubbing: The Week in Review Vol. 17


"The sun,--the bright sun, that brings back, not light alone, but new life, and hope, and freshness to man--burst upon the crowded city in clear and radiant glory.  Through costly-coloured glass and paper-mended window, through cathedral dome and rotten crevice, it shed its equal ray."
--Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist


We experienced this sunshine, hope, and freshness over the past week.  Thank you, praying friends.


In other news, I have a hundred eggs in my refrigerator.  Yes, 100.  I have yet to find a cheaper (and still delicious) gluten-free breakfast, so our family goes through an average of 8 eggs per day.

Kalan: "If I order a lot of eggs, will you deliver them to my apartment?"
Gary (the egg vendor): "Well, how many do you want?"
Kalan: "A hundred."
Gary: "What?!  Do you own a school or something?"
Kalan: "No...we just really like eggs..."
Gary: "Well, if you order that many we will deliver them for free!"


So we received our first shipment this past week. Our meat and vegetable vendors have offered delivery services, too.  It's such a time-saver (and energy-saver...walking with two little people to the market and then making the trek back--laden with groceries--is quite the task when you're nearly seven months pregnant.)  ;)


Speaking of those sweet little people, Keira and Jude started sharing a room.  The bedtime monologues we overhear are hilarious.  

"Jude, you my BEST friend!"
...
"Jude, I sing you two songs, then time for sleep, ok?"
...
"Jude, why you crying?  You have a new tooth?  You want a nuk (pacifier)?  Don't worry, buddy."
...
"Jude, you too noisy, hurt my ears!"
...

"MOMMY!"


In closing, I'll share a funny new English word I learned this week:


For the first time ever (and probably the last), I actually understood a Chinese sign better than the English translation.

Phubber = phone + snubbing = someone who looks at their phone and ignores real life around them.


Have a great rest of the week!

Kayt

1 comment:

  1. Haha phubber. Who knew?
    100 eggs...you do like eggs. That's a lot.

    ReplyDelete