Friday, March 8, 2013

Make Your Own Toothpaste

This week's DIY experiment was toothpaste.  

The ingredients and process are simple:



2 Tablespoons coconut oil
3 Tablespoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (natural sea salt would be best, but I just used this "delicious salt" we had on hand. Love those translations!)
15 drops peppermint essential oil

Mix it all together, and you will have a paste that looks like this:


If you prefer a thinner paste, add more coconut oil.

I'll be honest, I think it will take me a few weeks to adjust to the salty coconut flavor of this toothpaste...it's not my favorite.  If you have access to some powdered stevia, I would highly recommend adding some to improve the taste.

I store our toothpaste in a recycled glass jar, and keep a metal baby spoon nearby to apply it to our brushes.


Even though it doesn't taste the greatest, I'm willing to stick with it because of the benefits:

--we will save money
--we will avoid harsh chemicals
--we will avoid those late-night moments when we realize we are out of toothpaste
--we can guarantee that our toothpaste is gluten-free without trying to read obscure ingredient lists in Chinese

That last one doesn't apply to everyone, but maybe it's still worth a try.  :)

Happy teeth-brushing!

No comments:

Post a Comment