Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Goal #1: Learn 10 New Recipes

I've made a list of Pre-Baby Goals...fun things I want to do or learn in my free time this summer.

#1. Learn 10 New Recipes

Being married to a chef is awesome.  For our first year of marriage, I probably cooked dinner about seven times, total.  Fortunately, as "sous chef" I was able to observe Kalan and learn skills that made cooking less stressful...like how to chop an onion in less than a minute.  In the past few months, I've started to change my attitude towards cooking--now it's less of a chore and more of a creative quest.

The biggest challenge of cooking for me is knowing what ingredients to buy at the open-air market.  For the first year and a half we lived here, I only bought chicken breast or ground pork.  All the other meat cuts hanging on open-air hooks were simply too intimidating.  Without a grocery store label, I had no idea what they were or how to cook them.  


Last week, I decided be brave and try buying a new cut of meat.  I looked up a pork roast recipe (as well as a picture of what a pork roast looks like raw).  Then I braved the pork stand and pointed to something that looked similar.  Guess what?  It turned out all right.


My next mission is to buy a fish from the market.  For some reason this is even more difficult.  Maybe because most of them are still flopping around on the ice as I peruse them!  I have to admit that this almond-encrusted salmon we had for dinner last night came from a nearby supermarket...but it was still delicious.


Two new recipes down, eight to go...any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment