Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Facebook and John Calvin

John Calvin wrote:

“For the man who thinks of himself as an alien sojourner in the world, uses the things of the world as if they belonged to someone else; in other words, as things which are lent for the day only.”*

This quote reminded me that all our earthly possessions are tools for God’s purposes and not our own selfish gain. One tool I’m tempted to misuse every day is Facebook, but remembering that I’m a pilgrim in this world changes the way I use it.

When I act like a permanent resident of this world, I use Facebook to pursue status, power, and significance instead of finding my identity in Christ. I constantly check to see how many friends “like” or comment on my posts, because I seek approval from others. I freely broadcast my life throughout the day because I want people to admire my accomplishments and ideas. I waste time looking at pictures posted by high school classmates I haven’t seen for years so I can compare my life to theirs and feel good about myself.

I think if Paul lived now, he might very well write to the church: “From now on those who use [Facebook] should live as if not engrossed in [it]” (1 Corinthians 7:31). Facebook is not the problem; the way I use it is. When I awaken to the reality that I could die at any moment, I view Facebook as ultimately trivial and unimportant.

When I remember that life is short and I am an alien sojourner in the world, I use Facebook to communicate quickly and easily with family and friends. I check it once a day for about ten minutes because I’m genuinely interested in people’s lives. I rarely post status updates, reserving my personal news for face-to-face conversations or phone calls so I can further real relationships. I occasionally post pictures and updates so I can share my life with family and friends who live far away.

Facebook is a tool to help me on this journey through life. When I start acting like a permanent resident of the world, I misuse Facebook and waste tons of time. But when I remember that I am a sojourner, I can enjoy Facebook for the blessing it is without becoming engrossed in it. After all, I’m just passing through.

--Kayt

*The First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians, trs. J.W. Fraser, eds. D. W. & T. F. Torrance, Edinburgh, 1960, pp. 159-160.

No comments:

Post a Comment