Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Game of Thrones


A few weeks ago, I started watching Game of Thrones from HBO. I have really enjoyed it.

The setting takes place in a fictional world where winter and summer alternate sporadically. No one can predict each season's length and sometimes a season will continue for years.


I enjoyed the symbolism built into the story. Winter represents pain, suffering, struggle and fear. The plot begins with the end of a 9-year summer and these dark moods show up in the lives' all of the characters.

The idea of winter/hardship approaching gets hammered home by an old woman who chastises a young boy for his naive optimism-a boy who has only known summer. She warns him, "winter always comes; night always comes..."

Her statement made me think about my home culture and how we try to create a world without hardship-a world without winter. We try very hard to remove all struggle, obstacles and pain from our lives. Shock comes when life overturns our plans or something bad happens that we cannot change.

At times, I have hoped for a struggle-free life. I think this was a pipe dream.

Realizing that winter always comes helps me set my face toward what is ahead. I can focus on who I will be in the midst of that winter instead of hoping hard times won't ever show up.

In my life (and everyone's life), like in Game of Thrones, 'summer' may last for many years, but it will not last forever.

-Kalan

No comments:

Post a Comment